Tuesday, June 30, 2015

If you want something done...

I have a vague childhood memory, which is probably false as is often the way with childhood memories, of being told by a teacher at a parents evening with my Mum that I did too many activities. This has been a common theme throughout my life, I take on too much and I have a dreadful habit of not saying no.  Often I am too flattered that anyone asks me to do anything, and sometimes I just like the idea of being busy.  This is some thing that a dear friend of mine knows only too well and has written about on her blog.  There are people who "do" and we tend to do a lot!

I have just come to the end of a two year stint as Rowing Captain of our Club here. It's not really a rowing club like anywhere else, it's a massive private members club with some 3000+ members and around 300 active rowers and paddlers who all come under the section of which I was Captain.  And four full time staff. When I agreed to take it on I hadn't really though how much time and emotional energy it would take me. Two years later and, although I am not one to regret any decisions I make, I am wondering why on earth I did it.  I think it's taken, on average, around 10 hours of time a week. I've had to be a secretary, diplomat, CFO and mediator.  Sometimes people are just damn rude, forgetting that I was a volunteer. Ive weathered some very personal attacks, although also some praise too.  I've developed an understanding of the mysteries of HK government departments and employment laws.  I know the minutiae of insuring boats for a sport that insurers don't quite understand, and issued apologies and thanks on behalf of lots of people.

So now I find myself breathing a huge sigh of relief that it's over and other than a couple of sub committees that will take very little effort, I have lots of time on my hands.

So I've agreed to get a bit more involved in the running of the riding stables...

1 comment:

London City (mum) said...

Bwahahahahahaha...
OH stated the other week that he was "thinking of sending the school an invoice for my time".
I think my look of disbelief has dissuaded him.

LCM x