Friday, November 16, 2007

Waddling along

Despite the fact that on paper my impending 5k waddle around Macau is perhaps one of the easier races I have ever done, I am treating it seriously. So, at 6.30 this morning I was out for another training waddle. I am trying to do three a week, two short (on weekdays) and one long one at the weekend.

So far, so good. I am getting faster, have figured out some good waddling music (Marvin Gaye, U2, Wonderstuff and Gorrilaz if you are interested) and am now managing to overtake the 90 year old mad woman who flails her arms as she walks.

However, it was with a subtle irony, that as I panted up the steep hill to our apartment I looked down and realised I was wearing a top I had bought a couple of years ago at the Leander Club in the UK. For those non-rowers, Leander is pretty much the best rowing club in the UK (home to Redgrave, Pinsent and most of the GB squad). Their mascot, which adorned my top, is a rather plump, happy looking hippo. How apt.

No comments: