Thursday, March 19, 2009

And then there were two?

Before I had Eve I was not in any way maternal. When friends ask me how I decided to have a baby, I honestly tell them it was because I had always promised the Boy that when I turned 30 I might be willing to have a child and because I had run out of reasons not to. Of course now I think Eve is the best thing I have ever done, but I was very happy with my life and it felt complete without a child.

Which means I am now experiencing broodiness for the first time and it is all a bit scary. I find myself thinking that I would rather like another child more often than thinking about it with horror. Eve is at a adorable age, she is lots of fun, and I think that doing it again and having two would be really special. However, I am not entirely convinced about it. The problem is twofold. Firstly, I hated being pregnant. I have only just got back my pre-pregnancy fitness and vaguely approximate my pre-pregnancy shape and I am not quite ready to give it up yet. Secondly, the first 3-4 months of Eve's life was by far the most miserable, hardest, and sleep deprived of my life. I am so glad that phase is over, and I am not sure I have the patience or mental strength to do it all over again.

The Boy is keen for another.

So, I am taking some baby steps to get a better feel for whether or not to take the plunge again. I have placed our copy of the Rough Guide to Babies in the bathroom to read on the loo. I am trying to engage a bit more with the babies in the playground to remind myself that they aren't all that boring. I am figuring out career choices to accomodate a possible second pregnancy and thinking about what might be timing that would work for all 4 of us.

Watch this space.

5 comments:

LottieP said...

Blimey...

Anon Y Mouse said...

It doesn't seem so bad second time round.....

Mummy said...

Does Mrs Mouse feel the same?

London City (mum) said...

Alice, you KNOW it is a pre-requisite for all female Sons rowers (past and present) to aim for at least 3 offspring: Sue, Ali, Harriet, Caroline, yours truly.... Come on then! Time to catch up! Don't just think about it - do it (sounds a bit like a race plan, don't you think?).

Mummy said...

Three? I don't think I could do it 3 times...